This collection includes photographs of Maryland Institute College of Art's Main Building, located at 1300 West Mount Royal Avenue, while under construction. The State of Maryland and philanthropist Andrew Carnegie provided funds for the construction of the Main Building. The laying of the first cornerstone took place on November 22, 1905. The architects, chosen by national competition, were Pell & Corbett of New York. The design received the New York American Institute of Architects Gold Medal. The Renaissance-inspired exterior is carved from Beaver Dam marble from nearby Cockeysville, Maryland (also used for the Washington Monuments in Baltimore and Washington, DC).
Browse the Historical Photographs collection.